We are closed for winter but will open again 14th April 2023
We are surrounded on Dartmoor by magnificent scenery full of the wonderful heritage of the South West of England, going back at least 4½ thousand years. Coupled with this we have a fascinating natural history and landscape which cries out for interpretation. Not only will you ride out on a very special horse but you will have your own unique guided tour of the surroundings.
Our ‘Heritage’ rides – for experienced riders only – offered in three lengths
- 2 hrs – £90.00
- Half day (3 hrs) – £130.00
- Full day(5.5-6 hrs) – £185.00 (You will need to bring a packed lunch and something to drink, as we often stop for lunch in a remote part of the moor.)
Riding on Dartmoor is not an experience for the beginner rider as the terrain that you will ride through can be very challenging and requires a good understanding of your horse and its ability. Horses of all types ridden in this terrain can spook at an unexpected sheep or pony or birds suddenly appearing, not to mention an orange clad mountain biker! We need our riders to be in good control of their horse to deal with such incidents should they arise. You should be comfortable in walk, trot and canter on open ground.
We normally ride out with a maximum of 5 riders, plus a ride lead.
New from 2022 – we have some opportunities for less experienced or rusty riders
Farm, Woodland or Village ride
- 1.5hr walk or walk/trot ride – £75
If you are not ready to explore the open moor on horse-back but would still love the opportunity to ride a Clydesdale, we have access to some great tracks through forestry and around the farm, or can offer a road hack around the local village. These rides are likely to be smaller in size, with a maximum of 4 riders depending on ability.
Depending on your experience/ability you may spend a little time in our yard/small paddock to familiarise yourself with your horse. We can run through/refresh some of the basic ‘aids’ you will need, so you feel more confident controlling your horse. This will also give you an opportunity to practice your rising trot (if you wish to trot) before heading out for your ride, which will normally last about an hour.
Please call to find out more and see if this is an opportunity for you.
If you are non-rider but would like the opportunity to spend time getting to know some of our amazing Clydesdales – please see our ‘Hands-On Experience‘ page.
What else do you need to know?
- AGE LIMIT – The minimum age for riders is 12 years and they must be pony club trained or the equivalent. The horses are big and strong and we want to keep everyone safe.
- WEIGHT LIMIT -We have a limit of 16 Stone for the 1.5hr and 2hr rides and 14.5 Stone for the 3hr and Day rides. This is for the welfare of our hard working horses and will be strictly adhered to. These weight limits are with you fully kitted out for riding, not on the bathroom scales. We have scales at the farm and will ask people to weigh if we are in doubt- so please be honest with yourselves and us to avoid a potentially embarrassing and disappointing situation on the day of your ride.
- HOW TO PAY FOR YOUR RIDE – Full payment must be made at the time of booking by BACS or cheque. (Please see cancellation policy below.) Sort code 20 68 15 account number 63194094 Cheques should be payable to Adventure Clydesdale, Swincombe Cottage, Hexworthy, Yelverton, PL20 6SD.
- WHAT TO WEAR– All these rides are conducted on a variety of terrain dependent on the abilities of the riders. All riders are required to wear suitable clothing, riding boots or shoes with a defined heel. All riders are required to wear a hat/helmet to the current safety standards. (see below) The weather can change quickly on Dartmoor, so it is always best to be prepared and bring waterproof clothing. Its also best to bring several layers with you, as its often colder/windy on the tops of Tors. If you do not have your own equipment (boots and hats), we may be able to supply what you need to ride.
- HAT STANDARDS – We ask that you ensure your hat complies with the standards below, and we will check on the day of your ride.
Standard and date PAS 015 (1998 or 2011) and must have BSI Kitemark
Standard and date VGI 01.040 (2014-12) and must have BSI Kitemark
Standard and date ASTM F1163 (2004a or 04a onwards) and must have SEI mark
Standard and date SNELL E2001 and must have Official SNELL label and number
Standard and date AS/NZS 3838 (2006) onwards and must have SAI Global mark
Please note – EN1384 and BSEN 1384 are not acceptable without PAS015 and Kitemark
- TIME OF RIDES – Our morning rides leave the yard at 10am, so we ask riders to arrive by 9.30am, to allow time to complete the necessary paperwork. Our afternoon rides normally leave the yard at 2pm, so we ask that riders arrive by 1.30pm.
- CANCELLATION POLICY – We will ask for full payment at the time of booking. If payment is paid and the ride is cancelled by Adventure Clydesdale, then the payment will be refunded in full unless the rider is deemed unfit to ride or is over our weight limit, then the payment will not be refunded. If the ride is cancelled by the client 2 weeks before the ride date and the ride can be re-booked, then the payment will be refunded. If the ride is cancelled by the client within 3 days of the ride date, the payment will not be refunded